Feb 22, 2010

Katey's Blog: "A Forest Returns"

This is a great blog about a historic look back at what government has and can do to improve human lives and our environment. Sometimes all it takes is for government stop what is being done and let nature do its work! Let the 93 old narrator, Oral Anderson, tell you the wonderful story he lived! Early pictures of charcoal making for industrial furnaces was intriguing for me. (Embedded 28 minute video)
Monte


"A Forest Returns"

Recently I watched the Film, “A Forest Returns”. In this post, I would like to start out by explaining what this film was about, and conclude by exploring some of the interesting as well as informative aspects of this film.

I would like to start off by explaining the film “A Forest Returns”. This is film is about the Wayne National Forest located right in the Athens area. It provides insight in the government’s plan to employ many people during the great depression. The plan was to have many of the unemployed at the time plant trees where the land was left virtually useless due to farming and the removal of topsoil. Gradually people we given jobs planting trees, and as the trees grew they formed what is now known as the Wayne National Forest.

For me I found this film extremely interesting because it pertains to the area I am currently living in. I really don’t know too much about the Athens area and its’ surroundings, but I always enjoy when I can find some information about it. I have driven past the Wayne National Forest, but I have never actually explored the area or gone hiking in it, but I always figured that this was a natural forest that had always been in the area. So when I watched the film “A Forest Returns”, I found it really fascinating and informative to know that this forest was not always there and that it was actually manmade. I also found it interesting that the government would come up with this type of job for the unemployed since we are currently going through the same situation with high unemployment rates.

In closing, I found this to be extremely interesting, eye opening, and informative film. I would defiantly recommend that students who are living in the Athens area and want to gain more information about their surrounding watch this film. Posted by Katey Mueller

No comments: