Jan 7, 2012

Kindle / Android Tablet / IPad case and reading stand


Here's a simple case for a Kindle Fire that doubles as a stand.
www.WoodworkingForMereMortals.com

Kindle / iPad case and stand
by Mere Mortals

It's funny how sometimes the simplest concepts can pose the most challenging problems. This project began by just wanting to make a stand for my wife's new Kindle Fire. She reads constantly: several books a week. An e-reader saves me a lot of trips to the library. But I noticed she had to prop up the tablet to read while sitting at the table.

Keeping it sleek

After playing with a lot of ideas for a stand, I realized it would be nice to make a case that converts into a stand. My criteria was that it would look sleek, like the Kindle itself, and wasn't complicated to build.

As it turned out, this case is very simple to build and is infinitely adjustable as a stand.

WWMM viewers

But I struggled with it and could not have built this without your help. You guys are incredible. Earlier this week I asked for some suggestions on the design and solutions to problems. I received over a hundred emails. I am continually amazed by how creative you all are! Some outstanding ideas that got me thinking maybe I ought to revisit this project and make another case eventually. I got a lot of ideas incorporating a swinging lid. The idea of a modified cassette case is intriguing: that's a perfect stand. Anyway, THANK YOU all for your help. I couldn't have built this without you.

Simplicity is hard

If I had a mantra, it would be, "keep it simple". I force my brain to tell that to me all the time. We all begin new woodworking projects with complicated ideas that work themselves into complicated designs. Funny how our brains work like that. It's only when we take a step back and maybe sleep on it, that we discover simplicity.

Neat wood design idea...!!!
I would also like to try a smaller Walnut wood grain one for an android phone... Monte

No comments: